How Do You Organize A Research Paper Reference List?
After doing all of the research for your school paper, one of the most important things is to provide a well-organized and quality reference list. This is a crucial element for the paper because in this way you can show your professors that you used reliable sources and prevent plagiarism. Also, in this way, you can earn high grades for your assignment.
For writing a quality reference list at the end of your paper, you should follow several steps:
- The first step is to write ‘References’ at the top of your final page. It should be centered and with bigger letters. However, if you use some specific style such as MLA or APA, then the word ‘References’ should be with the same font, size, and format as everything else written in the assignment.
- The second step is to add all your sources and references. While doing your research, you have used many online articles, books, movies, websites, pictures, audio files, broadcasts, etc. All sources that you have used for the topic that you have written should be part of the reference list. This is really important because you will show that you have never used plagiarism and according to the sources you write your own point of view about the given topic.
- The third step is to check each source manually. Check the name of the author for each reference, the date of publication, the title, and also the publisher. Also, if you use movies or any other audio files as sources, check them twice if the volume is normal and clear. Double check each online article that you have used because some magazines or journals are deleting the old articles.
- The fourth step in creating an organized reference list is locating the references on the right position of the page. Use double spaces and do not add extra lines between each entry.
- Last, but not least, is the fifth step when you need to alphabetize the reference list according to author’s name. Usually, you will organize your reference list according to author’s last name. Double check each author names to avoid any mistakes that can harm the whole assignment.
If you follow these five simple steps, you can create a quality reference list. You can use any style that you want or that your professors are looking for. With a well-organized reference list, your paper will be unique, creative, and high quality.